Saturday, November 11, 2006

Shabbat Shalom

Today was my first visit to a synagogue in over a year. The last time I went was when I took a class on Judaism when I was a sophomore. My reasons for taking the class were because it was to be taught by a Holocaust survivor, and because it satisfied an elective requirement. Who knew that that class would lead me to where I am right now?

Since my reasons for going to services were much different this time than they were before, I was a lot more nervous. I kept wondering if I was allowed to read stuff out loud when the rest of the congregation did, and if it was ok to touch the scroll with the prayer book. I wasn't even sure if it would be ok for me to eat afterwards, because I didn't bring any food to share.

I did stay for lunch, and am so glad I did. I met a lot of new people, though I mostly tried to stay close to people I know from intro class. After I left, I was a little less than stoked to return to school, which is, honest to God, redneck central, so I kept on driving. All the way to Tennessee. I stopped at an overlook, hiked up to the top (easier said than done in a peasant skirt and glorified ballet slippers) and sat up there for a long time. This area might be backwards, but it is so beautiful. I got to see the last of the colored leaves. During peak, the mountains are almost blinding. Brilliant reds, yellows and oranges, everywhere you look. Everyone should come here at least once in their life, just to see the leaves in the fall. It is totally worth it.

No comments: